Try rose water for natural hair to benefit from its gorgeous uses for your scalp & hair! I’ve also shared some rose water hair care recipes so read on!
The first time I heard about rose water, I knew I simply just had to get my hands on some. And I did! But I used it for my face! I mixed a little with my face cream and applied to it my face for a dewy natural look. I also spritzed it on my face as a facial toner.
When I got into DIY, I started adding rose water as a liquid ingredient for my face creams and lotions. It is super cooling and hydrating and reduces the greasiness of your final product!
Anyway, I recently found out rose water is AH-MAZING for natural hair! Guys, this stuff is so so good for your curls! Below, I’m going to share 7 benefits of rose water for natural hair and a few recipes to show you how to incorporate rose water in your natural hair regimen!
Don't Miss: My Shea Butter Recipes EbookDo you love shea butter and want to make your own beauty products with it?! Check out my ebook “My Favorite Tried & Tested Shea Butter Recipes for Luscious Skin & Hair” for 50+ awesome recipes, complete with step-by-step instructions, beautiful pictures and other valuable shea butter info!
10 Benefits of Rose Water for Natural Hair including Recipes!
So here are 10 uses and benefits of rose water for natural hair! Don’t forget to try the recipes as well!
1. Seals Moisture into Hair
You know how you spray water on your hair then apply a moisturizer/butter to seal that moisture? Well, instead of using plain ‘ole water, fancy things up by using rose water instead! It’s filled with antioxidants, Vitamin C and a gorgeous scent that are all great for your hair!
2. Cools the Scalp
Spritz rose water on your scalp to cool it down with a nice pleasant sensation! Whether it’s due to too much heat, a tight hair style or itchiness, rose water cools your scalp beautifully!
3. Promotes Hair Growth
Yaaaaasss! Rose water promotes hair growth! I was surprised to learn about this too! It stimulates hair follicles, improves blood circulation & protects the scalp from irritants all of which foster healthy hair growth! Check out this lit hair growth spray:
- Hair Growth Spray: In a 4 oz spray bottle, add ½ cup of organic rose water, ½ tsp jojoba oil, 4 drops rosemary essential oil, 4 drops lavender essential oil and 4 drops peppermint essential oil. Replace the spray top and shake well to combine. Spray on your scalp whenever to boost hair growth.
4. Conditions Hair
Rose water is also conditioning for your locks! It helps de-tangle your hair easily and makes it softer and more manageable. You might want to try out my Rose Leave-In Conditioner:
- Rose Leave-In Conditioner: Into a squirt bottle, add 2 tbsp rose water, 4 tbsp aloe vera gel, ½ tsp argan oil, ½ tsp vitamin E oil and 10 drops of geranium essential oil. Shake well and spray on your hair after shampooing as a leave-in condish!
5. Soothes Scalp Inflammation
Scalp inflammation is characterized by a painful red and itchy scalp. There are many things you can do to reduce scalp inflammation including applying an avocado – peppermint hair mask. But something non-messy and easier is by spraying rose water on your scalp.
- Scalp Soother: Mix up ½ cup rose water, 1 tsp aloe vera gel and 4 drops peppermint essential oil in a spray bottle. Spray it on your scalp and enjoy the instant relief!
6. Dandruff Buster
If you’re suffering from a lot of dandruff, you can try making a dandruff busting spray using anti-dandruff essential oils. Rose water is a great medium for this plus it also has astringent properties that help reduce dandruff itch.
- Dandruff Spray: Into a spray bottle, add ½ cup rose water, 4 drops peppermint essential oil and 4 drops tea tree essential oil. Next add 1 tsp witch hazel to emulsify the essential oils. Cap the bottle and shake well. Spray onto your scalp to beat those flakes outta your hair!
7. Hair Perfume
Rose water has a light scent of fresh cut roses! If you want a faint scent of roses lingering on your hair, spray rose water on it before brushing! To enhance the rose scent, just add a few drops of rose otto essential oil!
8. Makes Hair Shiny
For shiny hair, spray rose water on your hair before brushing. You can also use a rose water hair rinse using your own homemade rose water. To make homemade rose water, steep 1 cup of firmly packed organic rose petals in 2 cups of boiling hot distilled water for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, let it cool down completely then strain it using a cheesecloth. Store your rose water in the refrigerator. Pour 1 cup of it on your hair length in the shower as the final hair rinse.
9. DIY Shampoo
Yes, making your own shampoo using rose water is possible and very easy to do! You only need a few other ingredients such as liquid castile soap, vegetable glycerin, jojoba oil and lavender essential oil or your fav essential oil of choice. Check out the recipe:
- Rose Shampoo: In a clean sealable container, add ¼ cup liquid castile soap, ½ cup rose water, ½ tsp vegetable glycerin, 1 tsp jojoba oil and 5 drops of lavender essential oil. Seal the container and shake to mix up the ingredients. Work a suitable amount on your scalp & hair then rinse off with tepid water.
10. Hair Moisturizer
One of my best ways to make a moisturizer whether for skin or hair is using rose water! It’s refreshing, leaves your hair moisturizer excess oil-free and packs some beauty benefits of its own such as silky conditioned hair! You can make a quick spray moisturizer by combining castor oil & rose water or try this more hydrating creamy moisturizer:
- Hydrating Hair Moisturizer: Simply blend ¼ cup of soft shea butter with 2 tbsp organic rose water in a high speed blender. Now add 7 drops of essential oils of choice and blend again. Voila! Your hair moisturizer is ready! Isn’t it so simple?!
Where to Get Rose Water
You totally don’t want to use rose water containing pesticides or even just flavored water which isn’t real rose water! Please ensure to buy 100% pure and organic rose water, lovelies! The most common brand of rose water girls use for their natural hair is Heritage Store Rose Water.
But I like Alteya’s Organic Bulgarian Rose Water – it’s possibly the purest rose water out there and it has the most gorgeous scent of fresh cut roses! You’d only want to use the best rose water on your skin and hair right?! So go for organic rose water always!
So my lovely naturalistas! I hope you enjoy using rose water for natural hair and please make sure to buy organic rose water!