So you know at www.ilovesheabutter.com, we’re all about DIYing your own lotions, creams, body butters and more. Because there’s nothing that says healthy beautiful skin like making your own natural skin care products!
Today’s post is going to show you how to make your own homemade body lotion for glowing skin. That’s right, folks! Glowing skin is your ticket to looking youthful and mesmerizing! And it’s as easy as making your own body lotion!
What is glowing skin? It’s basically skin that glows and shines with health and beauty. Skin that’s well moisturized, free from dehydration and flakiness and naturally radiates is what you can call glowing skin.
Okay, now let’s look at the ingredients you’ll need to make this homemade body lotion for glowing skin, shall we?
Ingredients we’re going to Be Using
♥ Shea butter – Of course this has to be part of the ingredients! It’s obvious that shea butter is what we love most on this blog. It’s super rich in moisturizing emollients that keep skin hydrated for long. It’s also packed with Vitamin A, that prevents dry and flaky skin. Shea butter easily penetrates into skin, nourishing it from deep within and keeping it healthy.
♥ Coconut oil – Coconut oil is just as loved as shea butter! This creamy white oil feels heavenly on skin and it also sinks deep into the skin cells just like shea. It gives skin a beautiful sheen and many folks like applying it before heading to the beach for that natural glowing tan!
♥ Sesame oil – You’ve probably never heard of using this oil for skin, right?! Me too! Until I discovered that it is a natural skin lightener. Say what? Yup, folks, sesame oil has the power to lighten up your skin. This is fantastic news for those with skin discolorations, acne scars, dark marks, hyperpigmentation or if you just simply want your skin to become a shade lighter. It has a thick consistency, though so we’ll be using just a tad of it.
♥ Geranium oil – Geranium oil is fantastic for skin, ladies. It beats acne, reduces puffiness, promotes youthful skin and smells pretty too!
♥ Gold mica powder – I thought it would be a fantastic addition for a homemade glowing skin body lotion. It’ll give your skin a slight glowy/shimmery effect! It’s totally optional, though!
* For glowing skin, I’d normally add lemon oil but it’s phototoxic, meaning it can’t be worn when you’re heading out in the sun. If you do add lemon oil, you can only apply the lotion at night when they ain’t no sunshine outside. Why lemon oil? It lightens, brightens and shinifies skin (I know that’s not a real word, but yeah). It’s also my favorite essential oil to mix with shea butter:5 DIY Shea Butter & Lemon Oil Recipes
Homemade Body Lotion for Glowing Skin
What you Need
- ½ cup of shea butter (where to get it)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (where to get it)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil (where to get it)
- ½ tsp gold mica powder *optional (where to get it)
- Double boiler (where to get it)
- Hand mixer (where to get it)
- Storage jar (where to get it)
- First things first, gently melt the shea butter and coconut oil using a double boiler over medium-low heat.
- When they’re both melted, remove from heat and mix in the sesame oil.
- Now place the melted oils in the refrigerator till partially solidified. This enables the mixture to be able to be whipped up to creamy form. It’ll take 15 minutes. Keep it in the freezer for 10 minutes if you’re impatient.
- When the time is up, get out the partially solidified stuff, add the geranium and and whip it up using a hand mixer for 5-7 minutes until it turns light and fluffy. Add the gold mica powder, if using at the end then whip again.
- Voila! Your homemade body lotion for glowing skin is ready for use!
- Spoon it into a sterilized storage jar and keep in a cool dry place!
Try this simple recipe out, if you’re dying for glowing skin and I promise you won’t be disappointed!